The Portland Fire Department responded to 246 Auburn Street at 3:50
PM on July 18th for a reported fire in a room. The first arriving fire
units reported heavy smoke billowing from the apartment.
Crews quickly evacuated the multi-unit apartment building and
extinguished the fire, but not before the kitchen area of the apartment
was destroyed. The remainder of the apartment had also sustained heavy
smoke damage and is considered unlivable. Crews that first entered the
building did report that smoke detectors were sounding.
On Monday, July 14th, Portland Fire crews responded to 1087 Riverside
for a kitchen fire that also left that residence unlivable. The owners of
that home were told to have the electrical system inspected and to install
working smoke detectors. In that case, a resident was transported for a
medical issue not related to the fire.
Information provided by the National Fire Protection Agency indicate that
cooking equipment was involved in 43% of all home fires, and 38% of
fire injuries in the home are related to cooking equipment. Most were as
a result of “unattended equipment.” There were no reported injuries as a
result of either incident. Investigators consider both fires accidental and
are working to determine the exact causes.